Personal Articles Insurance

The typical homeowner’s insurance policy provides coverage for your personal belongings. This includes items such as electronics, clothing, and furniture, up to a specified percentage of the coverage amount for your dwelling.

There are also “sub-limits” of coverage for “special” items such as jewelry, guns, fur coats, and silverware. These are predetermined amounts, normally between $1,000 and $2,500.

But what if you need to insure belongings that exceed the lower pre-set values, or if you want to insure your items against losses other than theft or destruction by covered perils? For example, if the diamond fell out of your wedding ring, you would not be covered by the typical homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy.

A Personal Articles Floater is an actual insurance policy, as opposed to an endorsement or extended coverage type on an existing policy. It will afford you higher coverage limits as well as protect against the causes of loss not covered on a homeowner’s policy. The term “floater” means just that; the policy “floats” or travels with your items of value. There are also commercial floater policies for contractor’s tools.

Personal Articles Insurance FAQs

The list is extensive, but here’s a snapshot of the more common items in no particular order (remember,
these items should exceed the $1,000 to $2,500 coverage for your homeowner’s policy):

  • Furs
  • Jewelry
  • Firearms
  • Camera equipment (both digital and old school)
  • Golf equipment
  • Art collections
  • Grandma’s fine china and other silverware
  • Your musical instruments
  • Personal computers